Old Town Hall
It was the year 1930, and J.A. Nelson was elected Mayor. Trustees were J.W. McHugh, L.S. Hayner, H.H. Rhodes, Morris Reinberg and Marshall Bond. In that same year, the Council voted to build a brick building to house the fire engine, jail cell, mayor’s office and council meeting room at a cost of $4,200.00. The Old Town Hall was constructed using poured concrete. The technique was somewhat new on the scene, and it presented a substantial appearance in the center of the Zachary business district. In 1903, a devastating fire in downtown Zachary destroyed the old wooden Town Hall, and it was 28 years before the old seat of government was replaced by this new governmental building. The Mayor wore a hat to match each function - he collected traffic fines and utility bills, was an integral part of the volunteer fire department, and the head of local government. Today the building is home to a large collection of information about local people and places and houses the original Council table where the aldermen met monthly. It is home to a significant collection of antique books, reminding us of the lending libraries of those days before every community had a real library! Drop by to see the old 1940 vintage fire engine on display in the original fire engine bay area and relive the past.